Church is Canceled. What Should I Do?
Pastor Jeff Linthicum released a statement on Friday, March 13th, explaining the extent and logic behind suspending group gatherings at First Mennonite Church, including all services. He stated these precautions came upon the recommendation of the governor of Indiana, asking groups of 250 or more to refrain from meeting, and for the overall health of the congregation as the Covid-19 virus continues to spread.
The church staff is offering some creative and useful resources to church members during this time. A few are listed below and more can be found through the church’s website, social media posts, or via email.
• Livestreaming services from First Mennonite Church can be accessed through www.firstmennonite.org.
• The church library is open during business hours.
• Church tithing carries on in three ways. Tithes can be sent in the mail using offering envelopes mailed directly to the church office at 566 W Main St., Berne, IN 46711. Tithes can also be left in the boxes outside the church offices. Online giving is possible through BillPay or an automatic deposit through your banking account.
• Resurrection Eggs for kids in celebration of Easter will be an option beginning Palm Sunday and through the following week. A plastic tub of these eggs containing lessons from the Easter story will sit outside the church at the handicap entrance. Updates about these and other useful information will be passed along via email, social media, or the church website.
• Cultivate a missional mindset, praying fervently for overseas missionaries with concerns about the virus. Also, pray how you can minister in power to those around you through this uncertain time